Monday, February 3, 2014

Life as an Immigrant - Success

What I am doing in Norway or Sweden? How much money I earn? What I am eating? Do I have a girlfriend or am I going to marry? When I will come back? Are the kinds of questions I encounter regularly from people connected to me, since I am out of Pakistan.

Do you like Sweden/ Norway? How long will you stay here? How women are treated in Pakistan? Do you guys still do arrange marriages? Do you like the weather? Where you want to work? And many other questions I encounter regularly by the people living here since I am here.

I have decided to write about it. Whenever I will get time I would like to write about my personal experience. The motivation behind writing is answering to the people asking these questions, personal learning, surveys about international mobility and an interview by Trondheim kommune's project about the international student's motivations to come to Norway and stay here after studies.


Your feedback as a reader is very important. My first note is on a relaxed Friday evening after a half day of sleeping. And after some brain storming i can write some things and miss a lot of stuff. Your questions will help me to cover those parts. Also this writing is totally based on my personal reflections.

As everything is about the experience and you are using all of your senses during that experience. Therefore experience and words can't give the exact explaining but they can give an idea. Anyways at this time i believe that there are three factors that decide what you do in your life

1- Social
2- Economical
3- Environmental

My reason of moving abroad was economical. I am from a middle class family that was under huge debts due to my higher education. Since our country is not economically stable, the trade deficit is quite big. And for many other reasons we don't have equal opportunities to study or work. So a young person in Pakistan is totally dependent on the family for most of the things. Some people build a network in a young age, to support them economically but how is it done is a big discussion as well.


Journey from a middle class Pakistani to a middle class Scandinavian resident was really challenging. I met so many people, involved in a lot of situations where I was totally alone, gone through a lot of changes in these years. Since there were no guidelines available so me and the people with the same background made different decisions and everyone has different results. I will reflect on some of the similar cases as well. But in the end it is an experience worth sharing.

After getting economical stability, the next stage was social stability. It is still under discussion among the groups I am hanging out with, what is the best social-work life balance. Social work like balance is one of the core values in Scandinavian society. But it has not that much value in other societies. So people are driven by different values.

Therefore a successful person in one group of people might not be considered as a successful person in some other groups and similarly that person might be considered as a successful case in some countries and unsuccessful case in other countries. So it is always difficult to judge in a certain situations that am I really successful or not? My only motivation about these arguments is that I have an experience, whether I was trying something and achieved it or failed. But everything I have done has given me an experience that is invaluable and no one can take it away from me. It doesn’t need any appreciation or criticism. What I can do in future can still be discussed and the lessons learnt from past will always reflect on my decision making in the future. These lessons can isolated me from societies or can make an integrated part of some societies. It is the situation that makes you hero or zero.




No comments:

Post a Comment